Today a game I did the art for finally went online, I think just over a month after my role in it was finished!
Working freelance is as fun as I remember it to be, with constant changes filtering down and iteration it really got my rather stagnant creativity moving again. I provided all of the art assets (apart from the logos for which we had to use the clients. This included all of the buttons in their off, over and down, all of the backgrounds!
The main bulk of the job was creating the animations, with eight characters in total with four animations each lasting between 6 and 10 frames! The art style was really simple so it wasn't tricky but repetitive and trying to get decent movement in a character that's only 24 pixels is rather tricky.
Six of the eight characters also had to resemble real people and be signed off by them, working within the 24 pixel limit (I did sneakily increase it for some!) made for an interesting challenge to show gender as well as keeping each character distinct and having enough length to its limbs for the animations.
All tolled by day ten I had created over 1000 images each individually drawn. I've really got a taste for much tighter deadlines
In the time it was managed!
The game is now live, it's a rhythm game using four keys on the keyboard and a mouse to navigate the menu.
The final game on the BBC website ---> www.bbc.co.uk/1xtra/games/rapb…
There are some images in my gallery from the project too.